Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"I am Randy's Existential Trip"
...huh...?


Written in: Poblacion, Sta. Maria, Bulacan, PHILIPPINES
Composition: Do I even need to say it?
Previous post: Pinagrealan Cave



I just realized that I haven't explained why this blog has that statement on top of every page (thus serving as the blog title)

It's a reference to Chuck Palahniuk's
"Fight Club" novel - later made into a movie with Edward Norton and Brad Pitt.

In it, there's an instance where the Narrator reads off passages from old Reader's Digest books wherein the scenario of "what if different parts of your body could talk" is explored. Organs personified.

I am Jack's (Joe in the book) heart; I pump his blood.The story goes on with the narrator using this way of expression to denote different aspects of his emotions. I am Jack's smirking revenge. I am Jack's raging bile duct. This is done as a way of indicating the main character's general detachment from himself and his world. His grasp, all but gone. His control, virtually taken over by a destructive alter ego.

I love the nihilistic nature of this subversive, counterculture story of sorts.


And I've often used this expression in a lot of instances.

"I am Randy's Existential Trip; I am his search for meaning and I am what he has to share with you"



Next Post: A Short Visit to Meycauayan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home