Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sick Again
15th to the 18th of January


Written in: Poblacion, Sta. Maria, Bulacan, PHILIPPINES
Composition: Written rant on a piece of paper
 Previous Post: A Short Visit to Meycauayan


From the 15th to the 18th of January, I was once again, sick.

In a space of one month I was sick again for the second time. From Ilocos, I brought back a Cough and Cold that put me 'out of action' for two weeks. And barely a few weeks later, I had generalized weakness, stomach churning, and visits to the bathroom every so often.

The culprit? Gastroenteritis caused by oysters from Tito Nato's dinner.

I initially thought of it as a flu because I was coughing, had a slight fever, and then generalized lethargy.

From November of 2005 to November of 2006, I was completely sickness free. Nothing put me down for even a day. I knew it because I had the most rabid flu when I was in another city during the November of 2005 - from that time till my departure from Calgary, I was as strong as an ox. (I wonder if oxen have a "I'm as weak as a human" euphemism when they're sick?)

But here, in a tropical country, sicknesses of all kinds abound.

I was not the only one; Uncle Tito was struck down as well - to the point of needing to be confined in a hospital bed, rehydrated via I.V. drip. I was lucky, if anything!

All I remember during this time was the frustration and self loathing I had for myself and my condition. Ate Mireille had something planned that coming weekend, and I did NOT want to miss it. Not to mention that my time in general was ticking, and downtime due to sickness just wasn't a welcome experience.




Next Post: A Weekend in Manila Part I

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home